|Spoiler Alert: This article/section contains details about future plot lines described in the manga, not covered in the anime. Do not proceed unless you want to be spoiled.|
"You need to say how you truly feel for your own sake." - Marin Kitagawa to Wakana Gojo
Marin Kitagawa is a slim and above-average height girl with a light skin tone. Her eyes are a dark brown naturally, although she is almost always seen with dark pink color contacts (outside of her cosplaying). Her build is on the thinner side with a small waistline. She has silky blonde hair, tipped with pinkish-red or citrus orange, reaching down around her waist. Her bangs cover a majority of her forehead and eyebrows, reaching around the start of her eyelashes. Two locks of hair also flow over her shoulders and end around her chest region. Her hairstyles include long straight hair, a single ponytail, a double ponytail, a double knot on top, a bun, and a single top ponytail. In terms of gradient, her hair goes from pure blonde at the top and progressively becomes pinkish-red or citrus-orange towards the bottom. She does wear ear piercings which include one ring piercing, three pearl piercings, and an industrial piercing on the left ear and two ring piercings, and one pearl piercing on the right ear. She also has long, glittery pink acrylic nails.
Her fashion sense varies according to where she is. At school, she wears a white button shirt with one chest pocket on her left, a navy blue tie, a plaid skirt, black socks, and brown shoes. She also tends to wear a stretchy black choker, two bracelets on her left arm, and a ring on both her right pinkie and left index finger. When she is going somewhere casual, she tends to wear various outfits that fit her liking.
Cosplay 1: Shizuku Kuroe
She wears a black shoulder-length wig with a violet tint, her bangs slightly spread out and covering her forehead, extending just above the fake eyelashes. The eyelashes are moderately long but only on the outer corners of the eye to create a droopy eye impression. She wears purple color contacts and her eye shadow is red. Her eyebrows are shaved and new eyebrows are drawn to best mimic the expression. She wears a black mob cap with three red artificial roses on top, the mob cap having an embroidered rose pattern. She dons a black maid gown with frills where the arm meets the torso. The cuffs are extended to cover the hand and widen towards the end like a cone and the end is ruffled. There is a brown leather choker attached to a metal ring with a chain extending from it. She also wears a tie. Her breast pockets cover the breasts, with two strings tied in a loop-back pattern going from frill to frill. A few NuBra's are stacked beneath the breast pockets to make them look bigger. She is slimmest directly beneath the breasts, where the dress starts. There are at least three layers to the dress, including a crinoline to make the dress look fluffy. The top layer is a rose embroidered pattern with frilled at the end, then there's a black layer and a frilled layer beneath. She wears black rose embroidered stockings. There is also a tulle and garter belt. The stockings are connected to the underwear with two strings on each leg. She wears black platform heels. The number 17 is written on her thighs, right beneath the underwear, as a detail of how many times Shizuku had intercourse. The way 17 is written is by Chinese telly marks so there is added another telly mark by each intercourse Shizuku has had. Why it says 17 is unknown, it might be what Marin got in her playthrough of Saint ♡ Slippery's Academy for Girls - The Young Ladies of the Humiliation Club: Debauched Miracle Life 2.
Cosplay 2: Black Lobelia
She wears an officer's cap with a fleur-de-lis on the cap and an officer's jacket with epaulets and fringes. Beneath that she wears a cap. There's also an imitating jewel on her chest. Her dress is layered and fringed at the edges. Her accessories also include a choker and black gloves. She wears different color contacts symbolizing Heterochromia, her left being blue and her right being red.
Cosplay 2.5: Prisoner Veronica
She wears a platinum blonde wig with a white choker, jagged teeth, a small cloth around the chest that emphasizes her under-boob along with short pants. For this cosplay, she wears orange-yellow color contacts and applies a foundation so her skin tone matches Veronica's. It was finished quickly thanks to its simple design, but Marin did not use it due to the large amount of skin exposure.
Cosplay 3: Rizu-kyun
She wears a burgundy red wig with twin tails and even bangs that go down her shoulders, her back hair being tied in pigtails with black, puffy hair bands that have horns. She also wears attachable pointed ears. The top piece of her outfit consists of a black, long sleeved top with a white ruffled yoke that has a white, buttoned collar that extends downwards along with a white ribbon. The sleeves are baggy and are cut off by white cuff sleeves with ruffles. Since the back of Rizu-kyun's outfit isn't visible in the SuccuIDK manga thanks to the art-style and being covered by Rizu's hair, Wakana took creative initiative and made the back of the yoke an upside-down heart shape. The bottom piece consists of only underwear, and the outfit is fitted with devil wings and a tail with a spade at the end. For this cosplay, her nail color is changed from glittery pink to black, and she wears olive green color contacts.
Cosplay 4: Rei-sama
She has short hair with a mid-part in the middle. The attire is a white suit jacket with a black lapel, a white vest with black buttons, a black button shirt with a royal design, white pants, black shoes, a rainbow rose in her chest pocket, and a white tie. The suit is a tight fit and provides her with a masculine figure.
Marin is extravagant, messy, and while quite mature, she's also clumsy. As a cosplayer and huge otaku, Marin is a big of fan of magical girl anime and adult video games. She strongly desires to cosplay as certain characters, seeing the notion of dressing up and becoming said characters as the ultimate form of love for them.
Marin's love for the characters she likes extends to the point where she won't cosplay as them if she feels as though she can't fit their appearance, not wanting to spoil their image.
She is notably very kind, friendly, cheerful, and outgoing. It is shown that Marin greatly dislikes overly-critical people that judge others for their interests, causing her to reject the advances of a boy at the start of the series, who poked fun at her liking anime. Marin's non-judgmental outlook and friendly nature causes her to greatly admire Wakana, not caring that the boy is seen as awkward and quiet by others. She saw no reason to keep their newfound friendship and a secret, openly greeting him in the school hallways and later treating him at a ramen restaurant.
Marin holds her own values and can be quite earnest when it comes to it, despite her cheery and carefree attitude. For example, she easily saw how Wakana was being taken advantage of by his classmates and told him that he shouldn’t put up with that.
While possessing a mature side, Marin can be something of a scatterbrain on occasion. She poorly knitted a prototype of her first cosplay outfit (Shizuku), despite a guidebook she possessed having step-by-step instructions. She is also a procrastinator, often opting to watch anime over doing work and completely losing track of time as a result.
Marin is shown to be very bold, as she had no problem with allowing Wakana to take her measurements for her first cosplay outfit, and doing so while wearing a bathing suit despite still being early on in their friendship. She is shown to have a more teasing side, sometimes making jokes at Wakana’s expense and laughing at whenever he gets embarrassed and flustered. These moments can be embarrassing for Marin as well however, particularly when she begins to realise her own feelings for him.
Despite being carefree, Marin isn’t thoughtless of others, far from it. After seeing that Wakana had worn himself out to get her Shizuku-tan outfit finished and fully sewn; a result of her not being clear with when she needed the outfit to be done. She broke down in remorse and tearfully apologized to him after realizing that he needlessly went through so much effort for her sake, all the while juggling his own responsibilities, including studying for midterm exams, as well as visiting his grandfather and manning his Hina doll shop.
She has a habit of being embarrassed by seemingly insignificant things, while being woefully unaware or uncaring of clearly more humiliating factors. During the cosplay event as Shizuku, when a female photographer snapped a picture of her as the wind blew up her skirt and showed her boxers, Marin was more concerned that she wasn't looking at the camera rather than the raunchy photo of her, even when the photographer apologized and said she'd delete it. When Marin hastily greeted Wakana at her apartment, she was startled and embarrassed to find out that she wasn’t wearing her pink color contacts, rather than the fact she was still in her nightwear and had most of her top half exposed.
Marin also loves eating but still manages to maintain her slender figure, until later on in chapter 64. She's not a very good cook either, as her meals are often greasy and contain large quantities of meat and rice.
Marin's mother died when she was very young, leaving her under the care of her father. Though he loves her, Marin's father is often called to work abroad, leaving her to live alone most days. Prior to the start of the series, Marin secured a part-time job as an amateur model.
One day, Marin falls and hits her head on Wakana Gojo's table and apologizes, marking the first yet brief conversation between the two. The next day, Wakana and Marin are both assigned to afterschool cleaning, though things still remain awkward between the two. One day, Wakana was planning to use the school's sewing machine to work on a doll but coincidentally, Marin comes in and spots him. After admiring Wakana's doll and praising his work, Marin asks if Wakana could help her create cosplays, which Wakana accepts. Thus, a friendship blossoms between the two and the series begins.
- Wakana Gojo: At the beginning of the series, it is shown that Wakana and Marin are classmates but have rarely ever talked. With Marin being popular and outgoing, Wakana describes her as being in a whole different world than him and always at the center of attention. The two briefly talk after Marin accidentally bumps into Wakana's desk, but Wakana shuts this down after becoming too nervous. The two later are put on afterschool cleaning activities, but things remain awkward and silent. One day, after catching Wakana using the school's sewing machine and learning that he was a hina dollmaker, she asks him to make her cosplay clothes and reveals she has a deep passion for cosplaying. Wakana promises he'll help her out and receives commission fees for his work. She is very vocal about complimenting his costumes and always supports him in anything he does. At the end of Volume 2, Marin realizes she is in love with Wakana, and throughout the series, continually does whatever she can to invite him to places and spend time with him. In chapter 36, they went to a love hotel during a shoot, leaving Marin flustered and her heart beating frantically. After her father demanded that she do her summer homework, she frequently went to Wakana's house for him to help her homework and eat with him. Marin tends to get flushed around Wakana if he says anything to compliment her, and admires his passion to do what he loves. She can also get frustrated with Wakana when he outright denies any rumor that the two are dating, given that Wakana thinks that she would never date someone like him (unknowing to her), leaving her upset. It's clear that just being around him makes her happy, and she's never once denied a rumor or disliked the idea that they're together, while also being happy upon hearing that Wakana is single and always has been, clearly hinting that she wants more in their friendship.
- Nowa Sugaya: Among her group of friends, Marin is often seen hanging out with Nowa outside of her work with Wakana. They are shown to get along well, as they've both gone to have their hair done and have eaten together.
- Sajuna Inui aka 'Juju': Marin is a major fan of Juju's cosplays, finding her immensely adorable. Upon meeting her in the flesh at Wakana's house, Marin freaks out and fangirls over her to the point of making Sajuna uncomfortable. The two have a stable friendship, and Marin was overjoyed to have cosplayed with her. While Sajuna refused to do a collaboration cosplay with her at first, Marin convinced her by saying that she'd split the studio rent. It is clear that they both enjoyed their time afterwards.
- Shinju Inui: Marin was eager to meet Sajuna's younger sister in wanting to learn about Juju's photography. At first she pictured Shinju as a smaller and cuter version of her older sister, but was quite surprised to find out that Shinju was both taller and older-looking than Sajuna. Regardless, the two become good friends quickly. Marin was also in awe over her Soma cosplay, finding her male appearance with a girl's face to be amazingly cute. When Wakana revealed that him and Shinju kept the latter's cosplay a secret and that the two worked together on it, Marin showed some signs of jealousy that Wakana worked with another girl on cosplaying alone, but she soon shrugged it off.
- Unnamed Father: They are on friendly terms, although he wishes that she'd be more hard-working because her laziness is taking after him.
- Unnamed Mother: She died when Marin was a kid from an illness.
- Prisoner Veronica is an evident reference to Ramlethal Valentine of the Guilty Gear series, more specifically of the Xrd series.
- In the anime, her character preview that Marin and Wakana watched is akin to those of Guilty Gear -Strive-'s character trailers.
- Despite her elegant demeanor and the fact that she enjoys going to beaches, Marin is apparently unskilled at swimming or even floating.
- First year of high-school, so unless she skipped a year or redid a year, she would be 15 when starting
- Official anime Twitter says it is Marine's Birthday
- Funimation Tweet
- Chapter 15 page 12
5.Do to the anime being set in Japan you must take into account they go by a trimester system in schools. The first year of Highschool is 10th grade not 9th like in other countries and their school years start in April and end in March. That being said we can’t properly determine her age because we don’t know what year she was born in nor what year the show takes place.